8. Oktober 2008 3 08 /10 /Oktober /2008 14:58
The fort of Alamgir, popularly known as the Lalbagh Fort, was built in 1678 AD by the then viceroy of Bengal Prince Muhammad Azam, son of the Mughal Emperor Alamgir. The fort has a three storied structure with slender minarets at the South Gate. It has many hidden passages and a mosque of massive structure. Outstanding among the Monuments of Lalbagh Fort are the Tomb of Pari Bibi (Fairy Lady) and Audience room and Hummam Khana (bathing place) of Nawab Shaista Khan, now housing a museum. The fort was the scene of bloody battle during the first war of independence (1857) when 260 Sipoys stationed hier backed by the people revolted against Bristish forces. It is one of great historical places of Mughal era. A small museum is there in this fort where you wil find the clothes and weapons of the Mughals. The capital city Dhaka predominantly was a city of the Mughals. In hundred years of their vigorous rule successive Governors and princely Viceroys who ruled the province, adorned it with many noble monuments in the shape of maginficent places, mosques, tombs, fortifications and "Katras" often sorrounded with beautiful laid out gardens and pavilions. Among these few habe survived the ravages of time, agressive tropical climate of the land and vandal hands of man. But the finest specimen of this period is the Lalbagh Fort which indeed represents the unfulfilled dream of a Mughal Prince. It occupies the southwestern part of the old city, overlooking the Buriganga on whose northern bank it stands as a silent sentinel of the old city. Rectangular in plan, it encloses an area of 1082' by 800' and in addition to its graceful lofty gateway on southeast and northeast corners and a subsidiary small unpretentious gateway on north, it also contains within its fortified perimeter a number splendid monuments surrounded by attractive garden. These are a small 3-domed mosque, the mausoleum of Bibi Pari the reputed daughter of Nawab Shaista Khan and the Hammmam and Audience Hall of the Governor. The main purpose of this fort to provide a defensive enclosure of the palatiial edifices of the interior and as such was a type of palace-fortress rather than a siege fort.
Published by Alamgirkingpin